Chris Picks

Each week Chris brings you the best in music, dance, arts and entertainment opportunities in Austin and surrounding areas.

Google

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

So long, farewell, auf weidersehen, good-bye


Yup, folks, this is it. I'm hanging up my calendar. It's been at least 15 years, maybe more. I've made new friends, kept in touch with old ones, evolved from e-mail to website to blog, danced a zillion miles, made discoveries, told some really bad jokes, mourned the loss of some of the greats.

Back in the day when I was working full time at a steady day job, this calendar could be created in "stolen" moments, spread out over the course of a week. Now that I'm semi-retired and have "more time" (???), I find that that the hours I'm not working at my day job are spent working at all the freelance things I do. And whatever the project du jour, it seems to eat into the time I could spend on this calendar. One week it might be theatre rehearsals, another week it's editing a doctoral dissertation, still another week it might be composing music on a deadline.

The bottom line is that I'm not finding the time to personally scout talent the way I once could; I'm not finding the time to do thorough searches to make this the comprehensive calendar it once was; and, of course, I'm not finding the time I need to actually write it.

So...

This is it.

My swan song, as it were.

Thank you for your support, your comments, your feedback, and even your corrections through the years. It's been fun, and I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kay said...

Thanks for the years of keeping us 'on the dance floor' -- much luck and success in your so-called retirement, which sounds pretty busy!

9:39 PM  
Blogger keithlmt said...

All your efforts to date have made a difference in a lot of people's lives--thank you! "Having time for the things that tug at your heart" is always a difficult issue, at least for me, and I'm so glad you're following the tug... I know all the projects ahead will be transformative for both you and us, too. Just keep our emails, and tell us what you're up to now and then, okay? All the best to you and Ben, and don't forget to polka! Much love, Keith Tuxhorn

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home