Chris Picks

Each week Chris brings you the best in music, dance, arts and entertainment opportunities in Austin and surrounding areas.

Google

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Christmas isn't so bad sometimes

December 7-13, 2006

Last week I told you about Ella, my newest grandbaby. Well... there's more. On Sunday I went to a baby shower for my next new grandson, Jackson, who is due in just a few weeks. Yup, my daughter is expecting, too. She's a labor and delivery nurse, and the party was thrown by some of her co-workers, so you can imagine that this was not your sweet little typical punch and cookies shower. Oh no. After a pitcher of mimosas (my daughter was good; she had juice), we had a pinata -- a pregnant unicorn (though I thought all unicorns were male. go figure). And what kind of prizes were inside this unicorn? All sorts of things that only labor and delivery professionals could think of -- speculums, latex gloves, lube, surgical panties, pads... all the good stuff. There was some candy as well, so we used the gloves as bags to give candy to the kids (when we weren't busy putting panties on our heads and striking glamorous Charlie's Angels poses with the speculums). Yes, birth is a whole different event to trained professionals like my daughter and her pals. Fun, though.

Christmas doesn't seem quite as onerous to me this year. Is it the cold weather? The new babies? Am I just mellowing into senility? I don't know. But I stayed up till three freaking thirty Saturday night (aka Sunday morning) putting Christmas lights up in my living room and listening to my favorite Christmas CD (The Soul of Christmas: A Celtic Music Celebration. I highly recommend it.) Unfortunately, when I finally rolled out of bed on Sunday morning and saw what I had done, it was really cheesy and gross. So Tuesday night I put another three hours into it and finally got what I wanted. Usually I just throw some ornaments on a shrubby little Norfolk pine and forget about it.


Went to my first holiday party this week and won a raffle prize. Sweet. And I was really proud of myself for not gorging at the food table. It occurred to me that if I actually, like, you know, mingled, and, like, talked to people a lot and stuff, then I wouldn't need to stuff my face from the time I got there until the time I left. And you know what? It worked! I got nice hugs and conversation from friends I hadn't seen in a while, and that was every bit as good as a chocolate chip cookie in each fist. For real.



Thursday, Dec 7

Many Lands, Many Faiths
Dell Jewish Community Center / 7300 Hart Lane; 785-8400 / 7 pm (family)
This annual event has something for everybody. This year will feature the UT Middle Eastern Ensemble, Kona Isla Dancers, Mark Rubin & Ben Saffer; Austin Taiko Drum Ensemble and more.


Conspirare
The Carillon / 2630 Exposition / 8 pm; $60
Ouch. It's pricey, but dang, these guys are good. And I guess rich folks need to enjoy Christmas, too.


UT Chamber Singers
Great Hall of the LBJ Library & Museum / 8 pm; free (family)
Here's a Christmas concert the whole family can afford. Admission is free, but tickets are required, so call 471-0806 or email choirs@mail.music.utexas.edu to reserve yours.


Chaparral
Broken Spoke / 3201 S. Lamar; 442-6189


DJd Swing Dance
The Fed / 24th at San Gabriel / 9 pm


Two Hoots and a Holler
Ego’s / 510 S. Congress; 474-7091 / 11 pm



Friday, Dec 8

James Hand
Broken Spoke / 3201 S. Lamar; 442-6189

Elizabeth McQueen
Carousel Lounge / 1110 E. 52nd, 452-6790

DJd Milonga
La Tazza Fresca / 37th at Guadalupe / 9 pm



Saturday, Dec 9


Ray Benson; Eliza Gilkyson; Slaid Cleaves
Armadillo Christmas Bazaar / Austin Music Hall; 3rd & Nueces / 12:30; 3:30; 8:00 pm, respectively
It's that time again. Great live music for listening or shopping every day/night thru Christmas eve.

Conspirare
First English Lutheran Church; St. Mary's Cathedral / 3001 Whitis; 10th & Brazos / 2:30 pm; 8:30 pm $30; $50
The matinee just might be semi-affordable, and it's in my neighborhood. The evening performance is a little pricier, but it's at lovely St. Mary's.


UT Middle Eastern Ensemble
Momo’s / 618 W. 6th; 479-8848
I'm not sure of the start time on this one, so give 'em a call.

The Eggmen
Jovita’s / 1619 S. 1st, 447-7825 / 7 pm (family)


Nutcracker
Bass Concert Hall / UT campus / 7:30 pm
Saturday is opening night for this holiday favorite by Ballet Austin, with live music by the Austin Symphony Orchestra. Performances run through Dec. 23.

Dale Watson
Broken Spoke / 3201 S. Lamar; 442-6189

Jim Stringer's AM Band
Ginny’s Little Longhorn / 5434 Burnet Road; 458-1813 / 9 pm


Saturday and Sunday, Dec 9 & 10

Mundi/Capitol City Men's Chorus
Central Christian Church / 1110 Guadalupe / 8 pm (Sat); 4 pm (Sun); $15 (family)
Did I mention that I've been on a choral music kick lately? And I'm always on a Mundi kick. So what could be better than combining the two?


Sunday, Dec 10


Ruthie Foster; Carolyn Wonderland; Lucky Tomblin Band
Armadillo Christmas Bazaar / Austin Music Hall; 3rd & Nueces / 12:30; 3:30; 8:00 pm, respectively


Gulf Coast Playboys
Guero’s / 1412 S. Congress; 447-7688 / 3 pm (family)

Damian Green
Central Market / 4001 N. Lamar; 206-1000 (family)


Conspirare
The Carillon / 2630 Exposition / 2:30 and 8 pm; $60
They say you get what you pay for; and in this case, I think they're right.


Dale Watson
Ginny’s Little Longhorn / 5434 Burnet Road; 458-1813


Heybale!
Continental Club / 1315 S. Congress; 441-2444 / 10 pm; $6



Monday, Dec 11


Paris 49 & Dale Watson
Continental Club /1315 S. Congress;441-2444 / 6:30 pm & 10 pm

Bayou Cajun Band
Evangeline Cafe / 8106 Brodie Lane; 282-2586 / 6:30 pm (family)

Darcy Deaville will be sitting in with them this week.

Cienfuegos; W.C. Clark
Armadillo Christmas Bazaar / Austin Music Hall; 3rd & Nueces / 4:30; 8:00 pm, respectively


Tuesday, Dec 12


Marc Devine & Denia Ridley
Reed's Jazz Club / 9901 Cap of TX Hwy; 342-7977 / 6:30 pm


Erik Hokkanen's Laboratory
Flipnotics / 1601 Barton Springs; 322-9750 / 8:00 pm

Hayes Carll
Armadillo Christmas Bazaar / Austin Music Hall; 3rd & Nueces / 8:00 pm


Wednesday, Dec 13

South Austin Jug Band
Armadillo Christmas Bazaar / Austin Music Hall; 3rd & Nueces / 8:00 pm



ROAD TRIPS


Gruene, TX
Sunday, Dec 10

Billy Bacon & The Forbidden Pigs
Gruene Hall / 1281 Gruene; 830-606-1281 / 408 pm; no cover


COMING SOON

Thru Dec 24

More Armadillo Christmas Bazaar! Stay tuned for all the details, or visit their website for all the info.


See ya on the dance floor,

chris





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home